Sunday, April 5, 2009

Dirt or Soil?

Today I met with our friend Suzanne who is helping me build my raised beds. We were discussing what we were going to do about the soil, but every time I would say "soil", she said "dirt". Every time she said "dirt", I corrected her and told her to call it SOIL. It took her awhile, but she finally got it. I explained to her the difference that I learned about "dirt" and "soil".

Soil~ the material you use to plant plants in. Best when there is a lot of organic material in it.

Dirt~ material that doesn't belong there. ex. Belly button lint and dust are both dirt. You do not plant plants in belly button lint or dust.

This distinction I learned from my 6th and 7th grade science teacher. Suzanne and I finally ended our disagreement about what the definition of dirt is by looking it up in my Webster's Dictionary. If you don't believe me, look it up!

On another note, we picked dates to have all the "supplies", wood, brackets, screws, and anything else you need to actually build raised beds. Also, the dates we plan on planting. Now we just have to meet those deadlines! I'm sooo ready for Spring!

1 comment:

  1. Drat! I was hoping to persuade you to use belly-button lint. Fern and Blossom have extra...

    ReplyDelete