Sunday, April 26, 2009

SOIL!!!!


WE HAVE SOIL!!! (Finally!) Today, Suzanne, Suzanne's partner, Crystal, my mom, and I filled the beds! We went to Skillins and bought one cubic yard of soil. Half compost and half loam. A family friend lent us their truck so we could buy it in bulk. It's cheaper. Skillins was really helpful and the people were nice.

This morning I woke to a loud rumble coming from somewhere outside. I then realized that it was the first load of soil. My mom, Suzanne, and Crystal when to pick up the first load so I could sleep in. But then I had to go out and unload it! So unfair! When we finished with the first half, Suzanne and I got back in the truck and headed back to Skillins.

We got the second half, the compost, all unloaded on a tarp. I still had to finish my bed, so I did that while Suzanne and Crystal when to buy some soil of their own. While i had a power tool in my hand, my mom was hammering plastic to the sides of the beds. We have to put plastic on the bottom so nothing that could carry lead into the beds. My job was better!

The truck, along with the two women in to returned. Time to fill the beds! I don't think I've mentioned this, but the other bed is going to be for Suzanne and Crystal to plant in. Well, we filled both of the beds to the top with about a 50-50 mix of compost and loam. When they left, and after I had gone inside and read a bit of my book, my mom and I went back out side to water the beds. She read somewhere that you should water the soil and then let it settle over night. Then add more.

The loam cost $47 for one cubic yard. It's the same with the compost. Since we got one cubic yard total, half and half, all of the soil cost $47. If I was only doing one raised bed it would have cost half as much. So all together so far, building and filling one 4'x5' raised bed has cost about $55. This does not include the cost of seeds. So much cheaper and MUCH more fun than buying a raised bed making kit!







2 comments:

  1. Love this Quinny! Look at tigs! Such a great garden! I can't wait to see it... also, I think you should through some belly button lint in there to add some variety! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would have loved to see you wielding that power tool! Your bed is looking great!

    ReplyDelete