Monday, March 30, 2009

Start the Seeds?

I've been reading my mentor's blog, and so far she hasn't started her seeds. I've been e-mailing back and forth with my mentor, sharing recipes, telling her about what her kids and me do on Mondays for math, figuring out how much soil I need for my raised beds, and everything else in between. I'm not sure when I will start my seeds but I sure hope it's soon! I can't wait! Last year our seedlings got destroyed by aphids. It was horrible. A few cucumbers and a few tomatoes survived, but non of the carrots. I learned that I should ALWAYS check plants that come into the house. What I did to get rid of them was to simply spray them with a hard fast blast of water. It works if you have the right amount of strength, but also have it gentle enough so the stream doesn't kill the fragile seedling. I learned the hard way that aphids have no mercy. I hope for better luck this year! I can't wait for the ground to finally thaw, and for us to be able to put the raised beds in. I have a feeling that all the soil will be a bit pricey, but we'll figure it out. I haven't decided what "recipe" I'm going to use yet for my soil, but I'll figure it out soon! Time to start some seeds!

No comments:

Post a Comment